Could I install a photovoltaic (PV) system myself?
Yes you can, however unless you are very handy or experienced in home wiring, we suggest using experienced professionals to design and install anything more than the simplest application, for the following reasons:
- You have to pay 20 % VAT on all the components rather than the 5% on the full installation from an accredited installer.
- You will not be MCS approved and therefore your investment will not be eligible for the export tariff. However on a positive you would get free electricity during day light hours.
- Electricity can be dangerous, especially D.C current. You could get hurt!
- You may damage your home or appliances during installation.
- You would NOT have the correct EL & PL installation insurances in place.